Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Advice anyone?

I am having trouble with my kids fighting. I do not know what to do. It seems that I am always yelling at them and getting after them for arguing. They are at each other's throats every time I turn around. I don't want to spend my time with them yelling at them, but I can not stand to listen to them bickering and fighting literally every minute that they are together. I have tried several ways to deal with this, from just letting them figure it out (which mostly turns out to be physical between them and I have to intervene anyway), yelling at them, punishing them, giving them extra chores to do, taking privileges from them and nothing really seems to help with the situation. I really hope that this is just not how it is going to be until they are grown up. I don't think that we all would survive if that were the case. I am just out of ideas and a bit discouraged because of it. I want to enjoy my time with them. I want them to enjoy being with me, but with all the yelling, them at each other and then me at them, it's not the environment that I want for us. Anyone, any suggestions? I'm going crazy here quite literally.

3 comments:

? said...

Thanks for the comment. Kids will always fight. You must have had fights with your siblings whilst growing up. But I dont believe it can be as bad you describe here. :) You have no choice but to keep intervening. You are the mum. Hope the course is going well

Bonny said...

I know, I am the mom. I just get so tired sometimes. And they do argue a lot, but I'm sure that you are right, not as bad as that post, but still enough to be making me crazy. :) The course is going ok, we have to work with learning teams and I am not thrilled about having to rely on someone else for part of my grade because we have to complete some of the assignments with others. But it is going ok. I love the new photo on your blog.

? said...

Imagine you were a teacher managing a class of 20 of them, how would you cope? When you think of it that way, you will see that you can do it. Plus, do you know how worried you'll be if they were not as smart as they are. Imagine they didn't argue. It just means none of your kids wants to be taken advantage of.