Saturday, July 19, 2008

Good friends...

I have been friends with Mike since High School. For 18 years we have been friends. He is the only person I actually still talk to from those long lost days of High School. He's such a good friend, probably a better friend to me than I have been to him over the years. He was always there for my kids birthdays, cookouts, and finally when I was divorced. The only friend that I still talk to through the years. The only friend that remained after my divorce. Today, he had a birthday party for his girlfriend. And although I did not necessarily want to go, I am so glad that I did. I loaded up the kids and we went even though I could and probably should have been doing a dozen other things. I sat and talked with Mike and his girlfriend, Bev. There was a woman there that I have not seen for years. We caught up on old times. I had some wine, even did a few shots! So unlike me! I forgot it was fun to be around people. My kids were wondering what happened to their mother. This person laughing and having a good time could not possible be their mother who nags them to do what they are supposed to, stresses over everything and is 'crabby' as they say. Who was this person they saw? OMG, I think it was who I used to be before responsibility got the better of me. I just can't describe how great it was to be there and I will have to make a mental note that it's ok to be more than Mom! Thanks Mike for reminding me that to be me is ok.
Until next time.

No comments: