Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My hunny...

I was working for an apartment complex cleaning apartments before new tenants moved in when I met B. Occasionally, the maintenance men would have to do work while I was cleaning the apartments. It did not happen often, but sometimes they would be there. Well, I was noticing that one particular maintenance man just happened to be working in almost every apartment I was cleaning. This was no coincidence. B was working in nearly every apartment that I had to clean. We talked, he was nice, but I was not looking to be in a relationship. I was in the middle of a divorce, I had three kids (L was only four months old), and I was not looking for a man. I had did not have a high opinion of men at that time to put it mildly. :)
So, we would talk when we were working together. If he was working in the same apartment when I was leaving, he would help me carry out all my stuff for the kids. L was still in an infant car seat at the time, so, on occasion, he carried out one of the kids. He would give L back his bottle while I was working. He really was a nice guy, but I did not think about him when I left work. About two months after he stared working there, one day, he asked me, "Do you date?" I replied, "No, I have three kids, I don't have time to date. Why?" "Oh, I was just wondering." I went home and thought about him a lot that day. He is a nice guy, but I have a bitter feeling about men and with good reason. A couple weeks later, he asks, "So, do you think you might like to date?" "Look, if you have some sort of personal problems, are an alcoholic, crack head, I'm really not interested! If not, then I'll think about it." "Well, I'm not an alcoholic, not a crack head, no problems here. I thought the art museum might me nice." "You do realize that D and M go with their Dad half the time, but L is always with me." "That's no problem, we can take him with. I'll carry him in the back carrier." "Are you sure?" "Yeah."
So, that was our first date, when he came to pick me up, he brought a lighthouse lantern and some flowers with a bunny on the vase. He calls me Bunny to this day. (Somewhere in talking at work, he picked up that I liked lighthouses, although I do not remember telling him, he remembered.) We did not end up taking L, his Godparents kept him while we were gone. He took me to the art museum. We walked around there for a few hours. When we left there, he took me out to dinner at my favorite restaurant, Olive Garden (also picked up in conversation at work, although I did not remember mentioning it.) We had dinner, a couple drinks, and then we went to pick up L and he took us home. We talked at my house for hours, until about 3am. And we both had to work the next day. It was nice. I was not used to someone being nice to me. And I had been given flowers for years, literally. When he left, he kissed me lightly on the cheek. He came to my house for dinner two days later for his birthday. I have to say that after a little drama in the beginning, we have been together ever since. It's been a little over four years now.
Until next time.

No comments: